Tuesday 25 November 2008 - Machupiccu, Peru
After the longest night I think I've ever had getting up and down from the bathroom (yes it wasn't a pretty site) it was getting close to the time we were meant to be awakening for Machupicchu. I certainly didn't feel ready to go climb a mountain, but having come this far was determined to have a go. So we got the bus to the entrance, the ride is a little scary in places as these experienced drivers do a number of switchbacks while bypassing other buses coming down the mountain. By the time we got up, I had a fever and could hardly walk. We made our way through some of the ruins to the terraces where I found a stone to site while Pete ran about taking pictures, and by the time he came back I had moved off the stone into the fetal position. So there we were, Pete holding my hand, while watching the sun rising over Machupiccu. We kept getting interrupted by guides asking if I needed a stretcher. We had a tour booked for 8am, but by this time I probably did need a stretcher. Pete took me back down the mountain in a bus and was able to get another room for us at the hostel we had stayed in for the rest of the day. Pete tucked me in and while I passed out for 5 hours, Pete was able to go back up and walk Machupiccu Mountain. This is normally a 3 hour return trek, but clever Pete did it in under 2. By the time Pete came back I was feeling a little better (could now walk) and we headed for the train back to Cuzco. I'm sure the 4 hour trip is normally wonderful, but when you are not feeling well it is like an eternity, oh and once again backwards. The staff put on a fashion show with designer alpaca wear, and also dressed in a traditional outfit to do a dance up and down the isle. We also had a special treat of sitting behind some Americans who were pretty loud, so now we know everything about Matt who is taking his parents overseas with him, and all the travels they have been on, along with Jennifer and Dave and the 2 boys (10,12) who go everywhere with them. As the train approached Cuzco the lights were turned off and as the train switched back down the mountain we had a wonderful view of Cuzco at night with its beautiful lights.
After the longest night I think I've ever had getting up and down from the bathroom (yes it wasn't a pretty site) it was getting close to the time we were meant to be awakening for Machupicchu. I certainly didn't feel ready to go climb a mountain, but having come this far was determined to have a go. So we got the bus to the entrance, the ride is a little scary in places as these experienced drivers do a number of switchbacks while bypassing other buses coming down the mountain. By the time we got up, I had a fever and could hardly walk. We made our way through some of the ruins to the terraces where I found a stone to site while Pete ran about taking pictures, and by the time he came back I had moved off the stone into the fetal position. So there we were, Pete holding my hand, while watching the sun rising over Machupiccu. We kept getting interrupted by guides asking if I needed a stretcher. We had a tour booked for 8am, but by this time I probably did need a stretcher. Pete took me back down the mountain in a bus and was able to get another room for us at the hostel we had stayed in for the rest of the day. Pete tucked me in and while I passed out for 5 hours, Pete was able to go back up and walk Machupiccu Mountain. This is normally a 3 hour return trek, but clever Pete did it in under 2. By the time Pete came back I was feeling a little better (could now walk) and we headed for the train back to Cuzco. I'm sure the 4 hour trip is normally wonderful, but when you are not feeling well it is like an eternity, oh and once again backwards. The staff put on a fashion show with designer alpaca wear, and also dressed in a traditional outfit to do a dance up and down the isle. We also had a special treat of sitting behind some Americans who were pretty loud, so now we know everything about Matt who is taking his parents overseas with him, and all the travels they have been on, along with Jennifer and Dave and the 2 boys (10,12) who go everywhere with them. As the train approached Cuzco the lights were turned off and as the train switched back down the mountain we had a wonderful view of Cuzco at night with its beautiful lights.


No comments:
Post a Comment